Atlanta Immigration Lawyer | Fogle Law Firm

Family based immigration

If you want to live permanently in the United States, you must first obtain an immigrant visa. This is the first step to becoming a lawful permanent resident. There are two types of family-based immigrant visas: 

Immediate Relative – these visas are based on a close family relationship with a U.S. citizen, such as a spouse, child or parent. The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year.

Family Preference – these visas are for specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). The number of immigrants in these categories is limited each fiscal year.

Because our attorneys and paralegals are experienced in all aspects of family immigration law, they will assist you determine the best option available to your family. Our diverse team strives to achieve a timely and successful resolution for your case. We have an extensive experience filing immigrant petitions. Because each case is unique, we will evaluate the chance of success of your petition to ensure that the petition is feasible. For example, as a U.S. citizen, you may petition for your parents, your spouse, your sibling, your adult children (married or unmarried) and your minor children. You may also file a petition for a fiancé who is residing overseas. However, if you are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you may petition for only certain family members: spouse, adult unmarried child, and minor child.