Atlanta Immigration Lawyer | Fogle Law Firm

Crime victims/ U-visa

As a victim of a serious crime, you may be allowed to stay in the United States for up to four years while you assist law enforcement agents with the investigation of the crime. 

To qualify for a U visa, a victim must submit a signed certification from a law enforcement official. This certification (known as USCIS Form 1-918, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification) is evidence in support of the petition to USCIS for U nonimmigrant status.

Once approved by USCIS, the U-Visa will allow the applicant and her/his immediate family to work and live in the United States and apply for permanent residency and green card in three years.

The Fogle Law Firm has extensive knowledge of this process. Our team of attorneys will assist you with the submission of your application. Indeed, it is often necessary to coordinate efforts with law enforcement and mental health professionals to obtain documentation which will effectively meet the relevant legal requirements. Our attorneys will efficiently prepare the application and will assess the evidence and testimonies in order to obtain a favorable outcome.

Generally, such a visa is recommended for people who suffered substantial harm or abuse from acts such as assault, kidnapping, incest, human trafficking, domestic violence, rape, sexual exploitation, prostitution, witness tampering, manslaughter, murder and other serious crimes.